• May 10, 1861

    The Sisters of Mercy arrive in Brisbane

    The Sisters of Mercy arrive in Brisbane after a one hundred and fifty-three day voyage. The Sisters disembark from a small boat moored on the River and walk along the dirt tracks of the developing Colony of Brisbane.

    The scene which met the eyes of the group of Sisters of Mercy who arrived with Bishop Quinn on May 10th, 1861, scarcely 18 months after Queensland became a separate state, was of a few scattered buildings, separated by tents put up by settlers, and muddy thoroughfares.” School Magazine 1981

    Photo source: Sisters of Mercy, Archives. Original Mural in the Cathedral of St Stephen, Brisbane.

  • December 1, 1861

    Foundation Year

    The Sisters of Mercy begin teaching in the Dean’s cottage next to the Cathedral of St Stephen and establish the first secondary school for girls in Queensland.

  • December 1, 1861

    Principal Rev Mother Mary Vincent Whitty

    1861-1864

  • December 15, 1861

    Enrolments commence

    All Hallows’ School receives its first student enrolment on 15 December 1861.

  • November 1, 1863

    Adderton

    Adderton House, on Duncan Hill, is blessed and named Convent of Our Lady of Mercy All Hallows’ on 1 November 1863. The Sisters and thirteen boarders move from their Charlotte Street address to the new location on 21 November 1863.

  • January 1, 1865

    Principal Rev Mother Mary Bridget Conlan

    1865 – 1878

  • January 1, 1879

    Principal Rev Mother Mary Rose Flanagan

    1879

  • January 1, 1879

    Principal Rev Mother Mary Patrick Potter

    1879 – 1885, 1892 – 1894, 1897 – 1903, 1907 – 1912, 1916 – 1922

  • January 1, 1879

    Ann Street Gate and Gatekeeper’s Lodge

    The Gate and Gatekeeper’s Lodge are constructed to provide an entrance from Ann Street.

    The Gate design is rich in Catholic symbolism, incorporating torches (representing the light of Christ), the Maltese Cross (with eight points to represent the eight Beatitudes) and the monogram ‘IHS’ (Christogram of Jesus Christ).

    The entrance way also displays an inscription of the letters AMDG, an abbreviation for the Latin phrase ‘Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam’ meaning “To the Greater Glory of God”. Aptly, the Gatekeeper’s Lodge serves as an almonry, where the Sisters provide food and clothing to the poor. This daily act of mercy and charity lays the foundation for All Hallows’ School’s future social justice initiatives.

  • January 1, 1880

    University of Sydney Examination

    All Hallows’ School becomes the first Catholic girls’ school in Australia to present candidates for examination at the University of Sydney.

  • January 1, 1881

    Main Building

    The first significant structure for school purposes is built on site and comprises of classrooms and boarders’ accommodation, later known as Main Building.

    Photo: National Library of Australia

  • January 1, 1882

    Belfry and Walkway

    The Belfry is constructed in 1882 as part of the Walkway for the Angelus Bell, brought from Ireland to Brisbane by the Sisters of Mercy in 1861 and dedicated to Saint Charles Borromeo.

    The tradition of ringing the Angelus Bell at midday continues at All Hallows’ School to this day, with Year 10 student volunteers carrying out the prayerful devotion.

  • January 1, 1882

    Concert Hall — Main Building

    Performances by local, national and even international acts become a regular feature in the Concert Hall from 1882, attracting guests and dignitaries from the wider Brisbane community.

  • January 1, 1886

    Principal Rev Mother Mary Regis Quirke

    1886–1891, 1895–1897

  • July 15, 1894

    St Ann’s

    The Sisters of Mercy establish the St Ann’s Industrial School in 1868 to ensure the full-time education and future employability of young girls leaving a nearby orphanage. The girls are trained in the domestic arts and sciences, learning skills in cooking, millinery, dressmaking and needlework.

    Changes in the education system see St Ann’s undergo extensive re-purposing in the 1960s when, anticipating the future growth of All Hallows’ School, the building is converted for classroom use.

  • January 1, 1901

    Main Building expands

    The Northwest Wing is added to Main Building, housing a junior school room, boarders’ dining room, kitchen and music practice rooms.

  • January 1, 1904

    Principal Rev Mother Mary Borgia Byrne

    1904–1906, 1913–1915

  • January 1, 1913

    Swimming Pool

    A swimming pool is built on the grounds of All Hallows’ School in 1913, providing students with basic swimming and lifesaving lessons.

  • January 1, 1919

    Main Building Extensions

    Further extensions are made to Main Building, including a mini laboratory and additional rooms used by students preparing for their University of Queensland examinations. The extension is aptly named the University Wing.

  • January 1, 1920

    1920s Uniforms

    Day Students, Formal and Sport Uniforms.

  • January 1, 1923

    Principal Rev Mother Mary Alban Salmon

    1923-1932

  • January 1, 1925

    Past Pupils’ Association

    The All Hallows’ School Past Pupils’ Association is formed, with the objective to “promote the religious, moral, intellectual, and social welfare of the members; to foster and maintain a spirit of union and friendship between all Past Pupils; and to give members an opportunity of taking part in active charity.”

  • January 1, 1930

    1930s Uniforms

  • January 1, 1930

    1930s Aerial View of All Hallows’ School

  • January 1, 1933

    Sister in Charge Sr Mary Loretto Flynn

    1933-1959

  • January 1, 1933

    School Magazine

    The first issue of the School Magazine is published “to celebrate extraordinary loyalty of the past pupils towards the school, and their deep and genuine love for it” (School Magazine 1933, page 23). It is distributed to current students and also Past Pupils “in Australia and even beyond the seas”. As the editor notes, “In sending forth this first issue of our Magazine, we feel confident that it will be received with interest because it comes from Alma Mater. We hope that it will prove a means by which lost associations may be revived, existing ones strengthened, and new ones made.

  • January 1, 1940

    1940s Uniforms

    Winter, Summer and Sports Uniforms.

  • January 1, 1950

    1950s Aerial View of All Hallows’ School

  • January 1, 1950

    1950s Uniforms

    Summer, Winter, Sports and Concert Uniforms.

  • January 1, 1951

    Junior School

    Nazareth House, a specially designed Junior School catering for five to ten year old pupils, opens on the Coolock grounds (now the current site of Loretto Hall) of All Hallows’ School.

  • January 1, 1958

    McAuley Hall

    McAuley Hall opens in 1958 and serves as the Catherine McAuley Training College for Religious Sisters. In 1961, the Commonwealth Department of Education gives approval for the College to provide Advanced Education scholarships, allowing lay women and men to train as teachers for Catholic schools in Queensland.

    The building is incorporated into All Hallows’ School in 1985 and remodelled for classroom use.

  • January 1, 1959

    Principal Sr Mary Marguerite Doyle

    1959-1971

  • January 1, 1959

    Parents and Friends Association

    The Parents and Friends Association is formed to help fundraise for a new swimming pool and science block.

  • January 1, 1960

    1960s Uniforms

    Summer, Winter and Sports Uniforms.

  • January 1, 1960

    1960s Aerial View of All Hallows’ School

  • November 1, 1963

    100 Years of History

    All Hallows’ School celebrates one hundred years at our Ann Street location. A range of events are held throughout the year, including a Past Pupils’ Dinner, P&F Ball and Mass at the Cathedral of St Stephen.

  • February 23, 1964

    Aquinas Hall

    Aquinas Hall opens, named after a pioneer of secondary and science teaching at All Hallows’ School, Sister M Aquinas.

    The building is described as a “symbol of our second century” and a “monument of learning” (All Hallows’ School Magazine, 1964) and includes senior classrooms, language laboratories and the School’s first fully equipped science laboratories for physics, chemistry and biology.

  • January 1, 1965

    House System

    The friendly rivalry between Day Pupils vs Boarders is replaced with Houses: Loreto (Gold), Mercedes (Blue), McAuley (White) and Coolock (Green). Each House is given a name, colour, banner and mascot, fostering the spirit of co-operation and sense of belonging within the School.

  • January 1, 1970

    1970s Uniforms

    School and Sports Uniforms.

  • January 1, 1970

    1970s Aerial View of All Hallows’ School

  • December 1, 1971

    Boarding

    The last boarders graduate, ending one hundred and ten years of boarding at All Hallows' School. The conclusion of boarding is timely, reflecting the changing demographics of local Brisbane families and also a need to provide additional classrooms at the School.

  • January 1, 1972

    Principal Sr Jean-Marie Mahoney

    1972-1974

  • November 19, 1972

    Potter Library

    All Hallows' School opens a central reference library which includes a "lecture room, reading area, study carrels, discussion rooms and audio-visual control centre". (Dieu et Devoir)

  • January 1, 1975

    Principal Sr Anne Hetherington

    1975-1980, 1983-1988

  • January 1, 1980

    Computers

    All Hallows’ School acquires its first computers. Maths, accounting and secretarial classes are the first to make use of the technology as part of the curriculum. The Computer Club is formed in response to a growing interest throughout the School, giving students an opportunity to learn basic computer skills and gain hands-on experience.

  • January 1, 1980

    1980s Uniforms

    Summer, Winter and Sports Uniforms.

  • January 1, 1980

    1980s Aerial View of All Hallows’ School

  • January 1, 1980

    Mothers' Network

    Mothers of All Hallows' School students establish a group to maintain connection with the School and each other. Originally named the Ladies Committee, the group later becomes known as the Mothers' Network and is instrumental in organising and supporting many of the significant events on the All Hallows’ School Calendar, including the Mothers’ Morning Tea, welcome events for new parents and the many social events that ensure parents feel connected with each other and the School.

  • January 1, 1981

    Principal Sr Anne O'Farrell

    1981-1982, 1989-1998

  • October 16, 1981

    A special visitor

    Mother Teresa of Calcutta visits All Hallows' School to speak to students and staff, sharing a simple message of love and hope.

    Above all, she emphasised that we must all love one another, for to love and be loved, she said, gave life purpose and reason." (All Hallows' School Magazine, 1981)

    The Seniors present Mother Teresa with a cheque of their fundraising efforts for the year.

  • June 2, 1985

    Loretto Hall

    Loretto Hall opens as a multipurpose complex comprising a large gymnasium and auditorium, used for assemblies, co-curricular sport and major productions.

  • January 1, 1990

    1990s Uniform

    School and Sports Uniforms

  • January 1, 1998

    Mercy Hall, Potter Building and Potter Library

    Mercy Hall and Potter Building open, as well as the refurbished Potter Library and its new Senior Study Centre, accessible after hours to allow greater flexibility for student learning. The Library is also updated with a large sprawling lounge, discussion rooms and a beautiful stained glass window depicting Our Lady of Mercy with the infant Jesus.

  • January 1, 1999

    Principal Dr Lee-Anne Perry AM

    Dr Lee-Anne Perry AM becomes the first lay Principal of All Hallows' School.

    1999-2015

  • January 1, 2003

    Vertical House Pastoral Care System

    The Vertical House Pastoral Care System is established and students are placed into one of eight Houses: Adderton (Green), Coolock (Blue), Gorry (Gold), Loretto (Pink), McAuley (Silver), Mercedes (Orange), Tighe (Purple) and Whitty (Red) House.

    House spirit develops through morning Home Group, House Assemblies, Carnivals and social events, "providing many opportunities for students to develop relationships with girls in a variety of year levels" and contributing to the "joy and sense of belonging" within the All Hallows' School Community (All Hallows' School Magazine 2003).

  • August 11, 2005

    2000s Aerial View of All Hallows’ School

  • January 1, 2006

    Middle School

    The reintroduction of the Middle School sees Years 5 and 6 students commence at All Hallows’ School for the first time since 1979. Older students reflect on how different and delightful it was to see “small children running around in miniature versions of the uniform”, affectionately nicknaming the Middle School students the ‘blue socks’.

  • March 15, 2007

    Dodge Lane Complex Opens

    New facilities include Claver Theatre, the Consilio Aquatic Centre, Piazza, undercover car park and drop-off zone.

    In the 2007 School Magazine, Principal Lee-Anne Perry reflects how the Complex "is now a focal point for both student and parent activities. The facilities have been utilised in numerous diverse ways and have proved extremely flexible and functional as well as adding to the aesthetic environment of the School. This was a wonderfully collaborative effort with an excellent, future-oriented outcome for the School."

  • May 20, 2011

    Catherine Court

    The School's central tennis court is transformed into a beautiful courtyard and garden, which is enjoyed by students for socialising and studying.

    A bronze sculpture of Catherine McAuley is also unveiled in the courtyard to commemorate the School's 150th anniversary. Dr Lee-Anne Perry AM explains that the statue "animates the beautiful Catherine Court and will be a permanent reminder of this year and, most importantly, of our Mercy Ethos" in the 2011 School Magazine.

  • July 23, 2011

    150 Years

    "Under a clear blue winter sky, a crowd of more than 3,000 enjoyed a Welcome Back to All Hallows’ program to celebrate the School’s 150 year rich heritage." Mrs Angela O'Malley, Director of Mission.

    A weekend-long celebration marks the 150th Anniversary of All Hallows' School.

    On Saturday 23 July, an outdoor Mass opens with a symbolic procession, which sees one hundred and fifty current students and past School Captains representing the years of All Hallows' School history.

    A stunning choral and orchestral concert is performed by past and present students on Sunday 24 July. During the Concert, the crowd of approximately nine hundred guests are asked to pray Catherine McAuley's prayer, The Suspice, together. A musical composition of the prayer, written and scored by the Head of Culture Mr Tim Sherlock, is then sung for the very first time by the 150 Celebration Choir.

  • April 23, 2013

    Mercy Partners

    The Sisters of Mercy transfer the ownership and governance of All Hallows' School to Mercy Partners on 23 April 2013.

    By transferring All Hallows' School to Mercy Partners, the Sisters of Mercy Brisbane Congregation has ensured that the School will continue to be conducted in the name of the Catholic Church and remain within mercy values that find expression in policy and practice. Through this ritual our commitment to God's mission of Mercy is expressed anew. We will continue to do this through ministries that enable the education, liberating and life-giving compassion of Christ the teacher, to be experienced.” Sister Sandra Lupi, Congregation Leader, Sisters of Mercy Brisbane

  • January 1, 2015

    Mary Place and Kirinari

    Mary Place opens, providing additional classrooms, offices and a dedicated space for the Facilities Department.

    The area bounded by McAuley Hall, the Convent building, Main building, Mary Place and St Gertrude’s lawn, is also transformed into an outdoor recreational space, with courtyard lunch seating and a hard-surfaced playing court. The area is named Kirinari, an aboriginal word for “place of learning”.

  • July 13, 2015

    Principal Mrs Catherine O'Kane

    2015–present

  • May 3, 2017

    Terrace Redevelopment

    The new-look Terrace is blessed on 3 May 2017.

    The beautiful, sloping grass Terrace had formed part of the original Adderton House grounds and quickly became a centrepiece of All Hallows' School, hosting countless activities and events with the breathtaking backdrop of the Brisbane River, Kangaroo Point and New Farm cliffs.

    In the late 1920s, the Terrace was separated by a brick retaining wall to create two distinct areas for activities.

    Over the years, the Terrace has been a place for sporting events, lessons, lunchtime gatherings, social events and celebrations, giving fond memories to many—not just students of All Hallows' School, but the Brisbane community as well.

    The Terrace Redevelopment Project, which commenced in late 2016, aimed to restore the area into a single level, with the addition of a covered walkway, patio deck and amphitheatre seating.

  • January 1, 2018

    AHSfitforlife

    In 2018, All Hallows’ School launches AHS

    forlife, a Whole School Wellbeing Framework focusing on Spiritual, Emotional, Social, Intellectual and Physical Wellbeing.

    AHSforlife is a contemporary spin on one of Catherine McAuley’s most well-known quotes, in which she calls on those of us who are privileged to work at All Hallows’ School, to ‘fit young women for earth, without unfitting them for heaven’. We want our students to have insight into the inner resources they have at their disposal for them to be ‘fit’ and ‘ready’ to tackle whatever life throws them." Ms Sue Chandler, Head of Wellbeing

  • July 13, 2020

    Tuckshop and Cafè 547

    A newly-renovated Tuckshop opens and offers an extensive, healthy and seasonal daily menu for students and staff.

    The addition of Café 547, named by students as a nod to the School's address on Ann Street, provides a bright, welcoming space for members of the school community, as well as visitors, to meet. The café facility is also available for parent groups to use for catering of functions and also serves a practical teaching purpose, giving students real-world opportunities to practice culinary and coffee making skills.