Skip to Main Content

On entering the All Hallows' community, all students become members of a smaller House community, which brings together girls from Years 5 to 12. Within each House, students join a Home Group where the same teacher and Head of House continue with your daughter during her All Hallows' journey. This connectedness establishes strong links between students, teachers and parents. Pastoral care of students in Years 5 and 6 is the responsibility of a dedicated classroom teacher under the guidance of the Head of Years 5 & 6.

To a certain extent, our eight Houses operate as small schools within the larger school. There are many activities, however, which bind the Houses to the total school community such as House Liturgies, House choir competitions, sports carnivals and other events. All Hallows' School recognises the importance of rituals and celebrations in helping students feel that they belong to our community. Occasions such as the Inaugural Mass, All Hallows' Day and the many special events that School assemblies highlight, are all eagerly anticipated by students and are part of the pattern of their lives at All Hallows' each year.

Students are allocated to one of eight Houses.


Adderton was a large, well-positioned house built on Duncan's Hill overlooking the Brisbane River. It was completed in 1858 for Dr George Fullerton, his wife Julia Adderton nee Moffat and their two children. In 1863, Bishop Quinn bought the property for £6,000, and the Sisters of Mercy and their pupils moved from near St. Stephen's Cathedral to the newly named All Hallows' Convent and School in November of that year. Adderton still stands as the central part of the Convent building. Adderton House celebrates as near as possible to 28 July with a great splash of their colour - green.


Coolock House was a twenty-two-acre estate in northeast Dublin that William and Catherine Callaghan bought in 1809. Here, Catherine McAuley cared for them, and, after their deaths, William left the estate to Catherine. She sold Coolock House to build the House of Mercy in the centre of Dublin from where she began her work with and for the disadvantaged and poor, especially women and children. In 1955, the Dublin Sisters of Mercy bought back the original Coolock House, and they now use it as a Convent. Coolock House with its colour of blue celebrates its special day on the first Friday of August.


Jane Gorry belonged to an Ipswich family. She was the first Queenslander to enter the Sisters of Mercy, 1862, and as Sister Mary de Sales served the people of Ipswich, Rockhampton, Dalby and Maryborough, before ill-health brought her back to Brisbane where she died suddenly in 1891. Gorry House remembers Jane’s date of entry to the Sisters of Mercy, 24 May, displaying their gold colour proudly and remembering Jane as a woman of compassion and courage.


Loretto House is named after Sr. Mary Loretto Flynn. Sr Mary Loretto Flynn took the name “Loretto” upon joining the Sisters of Mercy after the famous “Holy House” of Loreto in Italy — an important Catholic place of pilgrimage and shrine to the Holy Family. An ongoing commitment to excellence, compassion and respect for the dignity of each person characterised her approach to life and learning. Sr Mary saw the ‘duty’ of the school motto as living out of the compassion and consideration overflowing from a personal relationship with God. Sister M. Flynn died on 2 May 1968. We remember her remarkable contribution to the School and celebrate this on 25 March. Loretto’s House colour is pink.


McAuley House is named after Venerable Catherine McAuley, who after many years of caring for the Callaghan couple and the disadvantaged people around Coolock, founded a House of Mercy in Dublin in 1827, and, in 1831, the Sisters of Mercy. Sr Vincent Whitty, who led the Sisters who came to Brisbane, was one of the sisters who cared for Catherine during her last illness in November 1841. McAuley House’s celebration of 8 September remembers Catherine McAuley’s first step towards founding the Sisters of Mercy. McAuley’s colour is silver. Catherine McAuley, is the founder of the Sisters of Mercy. The House motto is Strength Through Friendship and you'll notice that silver is the favourite colour in this House.


Mercedes is Spanish for Mercy and Grace. The Mercedes House colour is orange. Since the feast of Our Lady of Mercy, 24 September, is in the School holidays, the House celebrates towards the end of Term 3. “Mercy (is) the principal path pointed out by Jesus Christ to those who are desirous of following Him.” [Catherine McAuley] As we maintain the tradition passed down from the Sisters who founded All Hallows’ School in 1861, the Mercy we are called to is an active sharing of the loving compassion of God among our family and friends, and then to people beyond our normal circle of contacts.


The School Register has Annie Tighe as the first pupil enrolled at All Hallows’ School. She came from Drayton on the Darling Downs in December 1861 and until her death in 1935 kept in contact with the School. Tighe House uses one of the traditional boarders’ colours, purple, and has its celebration day in Term 2.


Ellen Whitty was one of the last people trained as a Sister of Mercy by Mother Catherine McAuley. As Mother Vincent, she founded All Hallows' Convent and School in 1861. Her prayer, Oh my God, may You alone be the beginning and the end of all my actions, sums up her vision for us to follow. Whitty House uses its red colour to celebrate close to Mother Vincent's birthday, 1 March.